April 22, 2021
Dear PS59 School Families,
We are very excited that we will soon be welcoming all of our blended students into the building for in-person learning five days a week! According to a new CDC guideline, students now must socially distance 3-feet away from each other which allows for more students in the classroom safely. This new 3-foot rule goes into effect on Monday, April 26th which is when we will begin phasing in students for in-person learning every day.
Please note the following
· All grades EXCEPT 2nd grade will begin in-person learning 5 days a week for blended students on Monday, April 26th.
· There will be no more cohorts A and B for grades Prek, K, 1, 3, 4, and 5 starting next week. All blended students in these grades (all except second grade) will come back in person every day.
· There will be no more Google Classroom assignments beginning Monday 4/26 for these grades. If students are not in the building, they will be marked absent. There will be no option for online learning unless the school/class/student has to quarantine. In this case, please communicate with your child’s teacher to find out how he/she can continue learning from home (packet or online learning options).
Grade 2 Only:
· Second grade blended students will begin 5 days a week in-person learning starting Monday, May 3rd.
· Second grade blended students who currently have Mr. Aduba, will continue to follow a cohort schedule (B,A,A,B,B) next week (week of 4/26) with Mr. Aduba.
· Mr. Aduba’s Cohort A students will have Ms. Berkoh 5 days a week beginning Monday 5/3. We have opened this new class to accommodate learning for all blended students 5 days a week.
· Mr. Aduba’s Cohort B students will have Mr. Aduba 5 days a week beginning Monday 5/3.
· Grade 2 students who are currently remote and have opted into blended learning will remain in their remote classes and will begin coming in person on May 3rd. This is only for students who opted into blended learning during the opt-in period. **There are no more spaces currently for remote students to opt into blended learning**
· All blended 2nd grade students will begin in-person learning 5 days a week beginning May 3rd.
Students switching from remote to in-person:
If your child has been a remote learner and has opted back into in-person learning, please note:
· The school day begins at 8:30am and ends at 2:00pm.
· Students and families line up outside of the school before 8:30 every morning to do health screenings and temperature checks, before meeting their teachers on the track at 8:30am.
· It saves a lot of time if you have the health screening completed each morning when you arrive. You can complete this digitally here: https://healthscreening.schools.nyc/
· If you complete on your phone or tablet, you will only have to show confirmation as you enter and the line will move more quickly.
· We will also send home a packet of paper screenings if you would rather complete them on paper, just come with them completed to save time.
· Students are dismissed on the track at 2:00pm. Families can line up before 2:00pm socially distanced in front of the school and are let into the track in small groups. Students are picked up on the track and parents must leave through the exit near the park (not back through the school yard).
· Please make sure students are at school on time (no later than 8:30am) and are picked up on time at 2:00pm at the end of the day.
· Students should bring their devices to school each day.
We look forward to these exciting new changes and to seeing our students more consistently very soon!
Principal Sita Basu