The middle school application for students entering middle school in fall 2021 will open the week of January 11, 2021 and the deadline to apply is February 9.
When the application period is open, you will be able to access your child's personalized online application. Then, when you're logged in to your MySchools account, you can see and explore every middle school program where they are eligible to apply. From these options, you can add up to 12 middle school programs to your child’s application. Add the programs that interest you and your child the most and rank them in your true order of preference in the application.
- Consider adding the programs where your child has an admissions priority or guarantee, such as their zoned school(s) or continuing school. You do not have to place any of these programs as your first choice to keep your priority.
- Make an appointment to talk to your child's school counselor. Discuss your child's middle school application choices and how you plan to rank them.
- Use MySchools to explore your child's middle school options
This year, DOE public middle schools that used to screen applicants will not use academic records, auditions, or other screens or assessments to evaluate or admit students. Screening will be paused for 2021 admissions, meaning for students applying to middle schools this winter and entering middle school in fall 2021.
- If any middle school program has more applicants than available seats, offers will be made to that program using admissions priorities and randomly assigned numbers (as in a lottery). This is how most middle school programs in New York City already admit ted students.
- We will initiate further talks with school communities to help inform the use of screens for future years.
Questions? We're here to help.
Sign up for the middle school admissions email list and the DOE will notify you when the application opens! You will also get updates, key date reminders, and tips throughout the admissions process.